Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Reality TV: A Hoax and Sometimes a Killer


A couple of years ago I tried out for American Idol. I grew up singing in church, school and took lessons for many years. I not great but I not terrible either. I waited for almost eight hours to tryout in front of one judge who looked five years younger than I. Many times I almost walked out but at the time I had just been an extra in a movie that what filming in my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee-- Black Snake Moan. I understood that filming and TV take time. As an extra, I arrived at five in the afternoon and did not make it back home until six the next morning. In a way, I was prepared for the wait. The thought that I may get the chance to sing in front of millions was enough to keep me going. This was a big dream for me so I waited. After the grueling hours of waiting, I was turned away. After seeing many people who had dressed in costumes and skimpy dresses get through to the next round, I was disgusted at what Reality TV was really all about-- ratings and of course sex appeal. Many of my high school chorus buddies had participated too and no one was let through to the next round. I licked my wounds and decided then and there, Reality TV was a hoax and as a viewer I would no longer buy into what they were selling. To this day, I haven't watched a single episode of American Idol.


What tempts individuals into the reality show industry? Is it the promise of money, fame, or glory? Just think about being a reality star for a moment. Every word, every movement, every look is on tape. Things you say can be taken out of context and used by the producers in ways you may have never thought of. Most times, reasons behind these actions are to boost ratings. Jon and Kate Plus 8 have had a surge in ratings with the recent media attention placed on the couple's troubled marriage. Kate Gosselin has said, life in the tabloids is "Hell." Kim Kardasian has risen to stardom from Keeping Up with the Kardasians but has also dealt with media backlash about her appearance and having the family store, Dash, broken into and vandalized. Susan Boyle, the favorite for Britain's Got Talent, lost the coveted winner's spot and has checked into a London clinic suffering from emotional exhaustion.


When do reality shows go to far? Suicide rates for reality show contestants who lose occur.

As I watched Campbell Brown last night on CNN, she was talking with a panel of commentators about the rise of suicide related deaths with concern to reality shows. Najai Turpin was the first American reality TV star to commit suicide. As a contestant on The Contender he was pitted against a contestant 7 inches taller than himself. On February 14th, 2005 while he sat in a car with his girlfriend and 2 year old daughter he committed suicide. Paula Goodspeed, a ridiculed ex-Idol contestant, overdosed outside of judge Paula Abdul's Los Angeles's home. Nathan Clutter, a contestant on Paradise Hotel 2, jumped to his death off a cell phone tower. Another contest on the show Pirate Master, Cheryl Kosewicz, took her own life after an elimination from the show. Former Partridge Family cast member, Danny Bonaduce was filmed slashing his wrists to persuade his wife not to leave him on his reality show, Breaking Bonaduce.


As the media becomes more present in many people's lives, through choice or not, making the decision to become a reality star or famous for that matter, should be thought about in depth before jumping in. Rejection happens. Sometimes people don't like what you say. Other people just don't like you. Some people are just down right mean.


Reality Shows are made for money and as you know, money doesn't have feeling like you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment