Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Does Size Really Matter: The Wedding Ring


When my husband, Joe, and I got married, I was twenty-one and he was twenty-two. I was still in college working hostesses shifts when I could and he worked as a server at a restaurant in town. Broke and living paycheck to paycheck, our wedding rings were the last thing on our mind. This was an expense and at the time, we didn't need another bill.
An aunt of mine worked at a jewelry shop in the mall and helped us pick out a wedding band for me. All and all the band cost no more than a hundred dollars. My grandfather gave my then fiancee his first wedding ring, the one he wore when my grandmother and him first got married, a plain white gold band. To this day, he still wears this band.
Recently, my mother-in-law has been preparing to sell her city home so when she retires, she can retire at her beach home. Cleaning out closets and drawers that have sat untouched for years, she ran across a small diamond ring Joe's father gave her when they first were married. Donning another man's ring know, she handed it over to me and said "Keep it in the family." I am a stickler for antiques and tradition, so I gladly obliged. It fits perfectly with my band.

Former Entertainment Tonight correspondent, Vanessa Minnillo recently responded to split rumors with boyfriend, Nick Lachey. "However, this romance is still going strong. There will always be rumblings and rumors that we've broken up, but in fact, it's very much still on -- and it keeps on getting better," To prove her point, she flashed a 5 carat diamond ring she is wearing on her middle finger and went on to say, "It will be 10 carats when it moves to the fourth finger!"

In marriage does the wedding ring's size really matter? It never has to me...



No comments:

Post a Comment