Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson: What song will live on forever with you?


As the world mourns over the loss of "The King of Pop," just as when the world learned of the untimely death of Princess Diana or the killing of John F. Kennedy in a public forum to the loss of Elvis Presley, a spot in history has been carved for all. The moment we learned of his death will be forever etched in one's mind.

My family and I were just coming in from a fun filled day at the water park. Running upstairs to check my e-mail, I refreshed my yahoo page and stared at the screen in disbelief. Sitting in shock for a moment gathering my thoughts, I was able to shout down the stairs to my mother the news I had just learned. She the relayed the message to my husband. As we gathered our thoughts and congregated on the back porch, a look of shock and disbelief wore upon our faces.

Michael Jackson was gearing up for his last tour, This Is It. The tour was to start on July 13th, 2009 at the O2 arena in London. With a series of 50 sold-out shows, this was to be the final farewell to the legendary "King of Pop." The world will never get to tell Michael Jackson goodbye in person as he suffered a cardiac arrest in his Los Angeles home yesterday and died.

As a child, I grew up listening to his music as many did. I can remember gathering in the family room with my parent's and some of their friends to watch Thriller when it debuted on MTV. With buckets of popcorn and Cokes we watched in awe of what was seen in this video. Who can't forget Beat It? Jamming with the windows down and the volume turned up high, this was a song many loved and then came to loathe. My personal favorite has to be Billie Jean. Whenever my husband and I get to go out on the town without the children and a local band covers this song, it makes us take to the dance floor.

Michael Jackson will never perform live again but his music will play on. What song is your favorite Michael Jackson song? What song will live on forever with you? Is it because of the beat of the song or because it makes you dance? Maybe it makes you sing along? Maybe another reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment