Thursday, May 7, 2009

Do you think your kids are better off with the same sex doctor as they are?


It's that time of year, or you are one of those organized mothers who have already done this but as I can be a procrastinator I'm a tad slow, for immunizations to enter school. My "baby" will be entering kindergarten this coming up year and she needs to have their immunizations up to date. I confess, my family and I moved last year in August and I have still not found a pediatrician for my three daughters. Oh- the horror! I know, I know... but they've been well and when I did make some phone calls last year, no pediatricians were accepting new patients. What? That's a story for another day....

I tried again today to make an appointment for my daughters and all I get are voicemails. What's up with that? I guess the health industry is not having any backlash in this economy? I promise they will have their immunizations up to date by next school year: I'm trying!

Before we moved my children went to the pediatrician I went to. Dr. K is a male. Now that I have a new option of finding a pediatrician, I'm thinking maybe they would feel more comfortable with a woman. I mean, we are of the same kind. My oldest will be eleven this year and I can remember going to my male doctor and being a little freaked out about him checking me out in certain places. Maybe she'll feel more comfortable with a woman?
Are your children's doctor's the same sex as they are? Should it matter?

1 comment:

  1. Leigh Ann, your sorta lucky because you do have the perfect opportunity to make that change. Y'all have three girls & it's time to think about the oldest & when she will start going to the OB doctor. In your case, I do think you should go with the same sex Dr.

    I have a 12-year-old boy & he's still OK with our "Dr. Harry", our almost 15-year-old, needs to find a lady Dr. in a few short years.

    Just PLEASE, PLEASE don't get that HPV Vaccine that Dr's are pushing for young girls these days without a whole bunch of reading.

    There is A LOT of research still to be done. I don't plan on letting my Sara get it. I've read some really bad stuff & just don't think the risk is worth it - BUT THAT'S ME!

    ReplyDelete