Thursday, December 24, 2009

See Your Family Over The Holidays Without Leaving Your Home: Why I finally broke down and did the web cam thing


Finally a year and half since I moved 1500 miles across country, I can see my family again on a regular basis. After months of pestering and threats of being disowned if I didn't hook up the web cam to the computer, I felt the pressure and weakness set in. I did it and.... I love it!

For awhile I was unsure of allowing the family to call me at any moment's notice and peer into my life. It seemed a little invasive. But as time wore on and the big family Christmas reunion was being held, I felt lonely. For the past twenty eight years, I was there. Growing up in a family that tops a hundred people during holiday festivities, excitement is definitely felt. With the loudness that is inevitable when that amount of mouths are in one space, there is a sense of greatness. How could there not be? Looking around and realizing you are a part of something as grand as having at least a hundred relatives in one space at one time... it is quite phenomenal. I never realized it until I was gone.

This year being out on my East Coast Peninsula and my family down in Cajun Country, I wanted to see my cousins who where pregnant with their first baby's. I wanted to see my mom and grandparents; I hadn't seen them in three months. I wanted to see all of the kids running around, screaming in delight of what the holidays bring.
I wanted to see what I was missing.
Who was arguing this year? Who was speaking to each other and who was not? What arguments would break out?
You must love the family dynamics... you MUST.

So, I broke down and figured out how to use that thing that would allow my family to peer into my little world. After downloading software and hooking up to a free web cam network provider, there they were. I on my side of the country and they on theirs all together for the holidays.

The wave of future communications, the web cam is going to be the next way we can all communicate and see one another because there is really nothing better than seeing eye to eye or face to face.


Happy Holidays to All!!




No comments:

Post a Comment